Approved foods (best before vs use by)

Approved foods is an interesting concept. They sell items that are near or just past their ‘best before’ date at a reduced cost.

It’s important to be clear that this is very different from the “use by” date which is an important guideline on food safety and should be adhered to.

Best before is simply the manufacturer’s guidance on when they feel the item has reached its peak quality - this usually means the food is perfectly safe to eat but obviously it’s down to the customer to decide how far past that they feel happy to consume.

It’s a pretty popular website, but you will need to spend some time looking around the items and they charge by weight for delivery.

Here’s one example of a bargain you can pick up. 12 x 25g Walker’s crisps for 10p! Best before is July 21 but sealed crisps usually last for ages!

Occasionally a code will crop up to take 10% off your whole order also so keep an eye out.

Interested? Take a look > here < and let us know any other amazing bargains you find to share back with our community

1 Like

Thanks, @darren

I missed this, but it is such a brilliant idea.

The savings are amazing, and if you spend £55, you get free delivery.

I’m going to give this some time, so I can best use it. There’s even stuff for pets!

But regardless of the savings, it’s the waste that gets to me. On the site it says:

“Every year in the UK over 7 million tonnes of food and drink is thrown away, a lot of which has past its ‘best before’ date, but would still be perfectly good to eat.”

So it is not just about saving money, it’s helping the environment too.

Had a look around, and there are good savings on the essentials…really worth a look.

2 Likes

Completely agree @RDG - there’s a huge misunderstanding on the difference between “best before” (purely the manufactures best guess at when the product is at its highest quality) and “use by” which is a requirement to meet health and safety guidelines.

Best before dates are purely a guide and a lot of products can be consumed and enjoyed much much later than that - such a shame there’s not more done in this area to educate as it leads to so much food being ignored and wasted as you say.

2 Likes