Away for Christmas?

I’m fortunate enough to be away for Christmas this year, which I’m really looking forward to! Is anyone else going away or doing something new and different this year for Christmas?

2 Likes

We have done that, both in the UK and in Europe, and it can be really lovely.

Where are you headed @tilly?

2 Likes

@tilly we are pondering a few days away in the UK - as with everything costs will dictate all but a locational break (especially now we’re all home a lot more) really helps mental health too i find

1 Like

I agree a change of scenery, wherever it may be, is good for your mental health! Especially when you work from home so much it can become a blurred line between what is work and what is home. I’m going to Mexico!! It’s a big trip and we are planning to travel around/do some exploring, i cannot wait!! :grin:

If anyone has been to Mexico before please let me know tips and recommendations!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Now that sounds like a positive change of scenery :blush:

A colleague went earlier in the year, and it sounded amazing, though they were based near a beach, but are also quite the explorers too. I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time.

1 Like

@tilly Chichén Itzá is incredible if you’re on that side of the country

1 Like

thank you both!

Darren this looks amazing, we have planned to see the Chichen Itza on our trip :smiley: i think it is one of the 7 wonders of the world?

Have you been before?

1 Like

@tilly yes we went a good few years back - the science and application of astronomy they used for the time is absolutely mind-blowing.

There’s also an incredible story about them using the sun to create an amazing effect on one of the structures. I won’t ruin it for you though but think you’ll enjoy the whole place.

1 Like

@tilly Mexico sounds amazing! I always make sure to get out of London at Christmas time, sometimes to Hastings, Cornwall or Bristol. Unfortunately, I have never been out of the UK for the festive period although have always dreamed of staying in a chalet on a snowy mountain somewhere.

2 Likes

@SophieDennard a little inspiration…

1 Like

@darren :heart_eyes: that is exactly what I am looking for!

1 Like

Ah, I can’t wait - sounds really interesting! We are staying in Merida for four nights when we visit the Chichen Itza , where did you stay?

1 Like

sounds lovely sophie! last year i spent new years in hastings and it was lovely :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know Hastings well…were you in the Old Town? Always a great atmosphere there.

2 Likes

hey @tilly :slight_smile: me and my family actually went to Cancun over Christmas a few years back and it was amazing! It was slightly weird being in a hot country over Christmas but our hotel went all out on the Christmas decor so there were defo Xmas vibes! We visited Chichen Itza too and it’s phenomenal, the history to the architecture is super interesting too. We also went snorkelling which was a lot of fun, I wanted to do a scuba dive but no one else in my family can swim so we stuck to snorkelling which was really good. They took us to 3 different locations and one of them was an underground waterhole where you could zipwire across halfway and then jump in which was fun! I would defo recommend some sort of water activity like snorkelling or scuba diving! We did a dolphin experience too where we got to meet dolphins! I hope you have a good time, take lots of pics and can’t wait to hear all about it when you’re back :blush:

2 Likes

My word @VeenaL you certainly packed a lot in!

1 Like

hahaa yeah we tried to do as much as we could and things worth experiencing that we can’t do here! Don’t get me wrong there were also days we sat on the beach or stayed within the resort as there was a lot to do there too. Plus it was all-inclusive so eating all day is a must :joy:

1 Like

I was staying in an air bnb by the beach front but then we went to Battle for new years. We stumbled across a really nice old pub near the castle and everyone was in James bond fancy dress attire!

1 Like

wow!! thanks veena this has made me feel even more excited!! we aren’t staying in Cancun but we’re exploring around Mexico, so I’m sure there’ll be opportunities to try your recommendations :smiley: sounds like this is a Christmas you’ll remember forever! :mexico:

2 Likes

Well, that would be one thing to cross off my bucket list, @tilly! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

2 Likes