Charge your phone overnight? You might want to think again

Like many, both for the planet, and because of energy prices, I’ve become more aware of a need to switch equipment off, and be thoughtful when I charge something.

So I was interested in this test by Which on how much money you save a year by only charging your phone when you need it (30 to 80% battery), and the answer blew me away.

You save 40 pence per year…Not even a whole pound…£0.40p…That’s it.

So sometimes you can relax; you were doing fine.

4 Likes

:grin: :man_facepalming: had me worried there

1 Like

Had me worried too! :grimacing:

1 Like

I know…when I saw the title of the article, @Hannah @darren, I thought I might save enough for at least a pizza, if I were really smart about charging.

But no, it really didn’t make a difference.

Makes you realise that getting accurate info about saving tips really counts.

2 Likes

I was a bit worried for a moment as I already allow my phone to completely die until I charge it to full power.

This was an interesting read as I try to unplug electronics that I am not using so it’s not running electricity.

Thank you for this read it was very informative.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Mario ! :smiley:

I’m wondering if there is another angle on this, too. My laptop has an application to prolong battery life by only charging the battery to 60%. So if you are on it at home, plugged in all day, it preserves the battery’s life.

I also remember the ‘memory effect’ with Lithium batteries, which meant it was wise to fully charge them, and at least from time to time, let them completely drain.

This is where savings tips get complicated! :face_exhaling:

After all, a new battery is not cheap!

Anyone else know what good battery care is now?

1 Like

Hey @Mario - welcome to the community!

There’s often a lot of misinformation about so-called “vampire” electrics (those which drain more power when you think they’re off or on standby/low charge.

Many of the modern phones and laptops now refuse to charge past 80% unless you force them to, which apparently is designed to protect your batteries efficiency

1 Like

Snap! Looks like tech has different battery saving efficiency levels but obv the direction of thinking is the same

1 Like

Weirdly, my Android phone says it goes to 100%, but I guess if the OS makes sure it only goes to 80%, again, you don’t have to worry about it. :smiley:

Sign of the times that looking after our devices is such a priority?

Agreed - a small crumb of comfort for the planet is, perhaps, it’s nice to see people more prepared to make what they have last longer and not just be drawn into buying the next best thing

@RDG
thank you for the welcome.

I was thinking the same if there was another angle on this as well with charging and unplugging electronics that are not in use. Growing up we was always told to unplug electronics that we are not using including the TV as it saves electronics.

I remember during my undergraduate studies in Florida my utilities bill would often be high when I was not home during the day due to university and work right after. They told me to ensure I unplug electronics. I didn’t see much of a difference, but I always wondered was there any information on this.

I agree saving tips get complicated a lot and I am confused most of the time.

2 Likes

Hello @darren

Wow thank you for this information. I did not know that modern laptops and phones now refuse to charge past 80%. I just thought it meant the battery was dying faster and I was over charging. I can admit I am one of those ones who like a full 100% charge.

I guess I need to have a restructure on my charging habits.

2 Likes

A good example of how things draw power: in the summer we were away for a month and I thought I’d unplugged as much as possible.

The energy bill for those 30 days was still a quarter of normal. Really shows how much power those items we couldn’t turn off (fridge freezer etc) draw.

2 Likes

Not too hard to do, isn’t it? Good information to share

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @csarfo!

1 Like