Introduce yourself and share an interesting fact?

It’s one of the more common go-to icebreakers right? I’m joining a new service remotely, which can bring up lots of challenges but also super exciting opportunities! I must admit, I’m such a chatterbox and bonding virtually with new people seems a little nerve-wracking. Any tips or tricks for engagement and bonding with brand new colleagues over Teams?

If you’re feeling nervous, you’re not alone! Hopefully, we can all pull some ideas together?

Plus, I don’t think they’re quite ready to learn about my interesting fact yet :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Sabeeha you are not alone! Starting a new job virtually can be so challenging - I am personally very shy (even face-to-face) and virtual work has made it even harder to bond and get to know colleagues. One thing I try to do is to ask questions on the team chats - I am aware this can feel daunting because we want to come across as very knowledgeable in the first days but it really helps to get to know others and others to get to know you. Also, it is super important for me to have a “buddy” or two that you can video call or message when you need a little more support or even to just moan :laughing: Hope this helps! I am curious to hear other ideas or tips :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks @Giu will give it a go and see how I get on! Buddies have definitely helped me in the past so great shout.

1 Like

@Sabeeha you’re right, starting a new job remotely can feel very daunting, and something I imagine is very new to a lot of people with home-working only becoming more common-place due to the pandemic.

I know when I’ve started new jobs in the past I have enjoyed getting to know colleagues by having more informal chats, e.g. in the coffee room in the mornings, which I know is a draw-back of remote working. Perhaps meeting up for a coffee outside of work might be an option? (Although personally, and an ‘interesting’ fact for you, I HATE coffee! I am a chai/matcha gal myself) :tea:.

2 Likes

Hi @Sabeeha Welcome to the community.

This is a great question, and it reminds me that remote working is very different depending on your age, and how long you’ve been in an organisation. So much about work is about having those spaces where you can connect and collaborate, and weirdly, just see each other. No matter how many Teams calls I have a day, I can’t see my colleagues in between, so it is harder to maintain that Team feeling.

So, like @Ella suggests, making opportunities for ‘virtual coffee breaks’ (or other beverages of your choice :grinning:) or similar may be the way to go. I know that some people who work for global companies in the tech sector enjoy gaming together.

The other challenge is the hybrid working, when you are in the ‘office’ some of the week, but not usually together. Are you also dealing with that?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Sabeeha — it’s good of you to join the forum. Meeting new people virtually can definitely be a challenge. It’s bad enough if you enter a room full of people and you’re asked to introduce yourself. How much weirder is it when you’re invited to say something about yourself to a largely anonymous audience of unknown size? :blush:

However! Rest assured that there’s no existing clique of members already here. This is an open, safe space to chat and we are all getting to know each other. You are among our founding members.

Perhaps instead of sharing our interesting fact about ourselves to start with, you might share a professional challenge or something that’s interesting to you this week? It’s lower stakes, at least, but still helps us to get to know each other a bit better. :grin:

2 Likes

@Giu I love the idea of having a virtual buddy you can call upon for moral support!

1 Like

Definitely @Todd @Giu and welcome @sabeeha

1 Like

Welcome @Whitney to the community! Come and say hello on this thread when you get a moment :slight_smile:

Thank you Darren, hello everyone : D. My interesting fact is that Gordon Ramsay follows me on instagram where I share all my food pictures of food that I cook :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow! That’s definitely an interesting fact! Has he ever liked one of your pictures?

Could you share a couple of your favourite food pictures here?

1 Like

That is so cool…bring on the food pics!

And @Whitney welcome to the community; great to have you here.

2 Likes

Thank you so much RDG

1 Like

Thank you Darren, I will do so at some point today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome - looking forward to it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

these are some of my favourite food that I have make. I love food from different areas in the world. I have been very lucky to meet people that have introduced their culture to me through food

2 Likes

@Whitney That food all looks so amazing…

Are they available via Deliveroo? :joy:

1 Like

Thank you RDG, Its just my dinner ahah not yet on deliveroo :wink:

2 Likes