The Chinese Farmer

Alan Watts ~ The Story of the Chinese Farmer - YouTube

An inspiring life lesson!

It makes me think about the chain of events in life and whether things do happen for a reason? :thinking: We never know what the consequences may be of a ‘misfortune’…

This video has helped me lately after receiving some bad news. I’m trying to think that there’s always something good that comes from every situation (even if it seems small!)

2 Likes

I’d never seen that before @tilly - what a lovely message. Thank you for sharing (and sorry to hear you’d had some bad news)

It would be tempting to think that the message is to maintain hope in the face of adversity, but I guess it is more a plea to be more accepting and open to possibilities? It is impossible to imagine what might follow fortune or misfortune?

This may be a bit off-topic, but hope is such an important aspect of good mental health, yet its history suggests that it is really quite complex. For example, after all the physical and emotional curses fly out into the world from Pandora’s Box, and only one thing is left behind - hope - was that a gift, a curse, or cruel joke from the gods?

If you like podcasts and meaning, this is amazing…

2 Likes

@tilly I’m sorry to hear you’ve had some bad news :disappointed_relieved: I hope you’re taking care of yourself as much as you can!

I also came across this story when I was off sick from work and it definitely helped me! I was very unwell for a few months earlier this year. One of the things that helped was listening to this audiobook called I May Be Wrong, which is where I came across that story! It helped me look at difficult events in my life and taking that “Maybe, maybe not” perspective.

3 Likes

Ah thank you for sharing Nadia. I’m going to give that audiobook a try! :slight_smile: Sorry to hear about you being unwell earlier this year, that sounds like a bad time for you :frowning: . I’m sure because of this, you have built some strength and resilience which will help in the future :muscle: x

2 Likes

Thanks @nadia, @tilly, It sounds like the story enabled some really necessary re-evaluation that not everything is certain or fixed.

The farmer could allow for possibility.

Great link to the audiobook, too…stories are such a powerful way of getting a complex message across.

1 Like