The Festival of Diwali

Hi all :blush:

It is the festival of Diwali on Monday 24th October 2022 and I wanted to share a little bit around how my family and I celebrate it. Diwali is known as the ‘Festival of Lights’ and it celebrated by many communities around the world, for example, Hindus, Sikhs, Jain and Buddhists. The significance of Diwali varies from different regions around India. One of the traditional reasons Diwali is celebrated amongst Hindus is to mark the day Ram returned back to his home Ayodhaya, after a 14-year exile in the forest. The significant moment in Ram’s exile was the defeat of the demon Ravan who had kidnapped his wife Sita. The defeat of Ravan symbolises good overcoming evil and when Ram returned to his hometown, candle lamps were lit in every household to provide guidance to Ram in the pitch-black night so he could return home. The Goddess Lakshmi is also worshipped as she is the Goddess of wealth and prosperity.

Diwali is celebrated over the course of 5 days, which each day representing various prayers and celebrations. Traditionally, houses are cleaned and colourful Rangoli patterns are made and displayed at the front of the house, ready to welcome any guests that come over. A candle is also lit over the 5 days. As most festivals around the world, food is also a key part (and my favourite part!) of the celebrations. My mum and I tend to make Indian snacks at home, and some are bought at local Indian sweet marts and then offered to family and friends when they come and visit over Diwali. On the day of Diwali itself we usually go to the local temple and then a big meal is cooked and eaten with immediate and extended family. If like me, you love trying different foods, I would definitely suggest going to your local Indian sweet mart and trying out some Indian snacks! I did see a wide selection also being sold in Tesco too in the World Food isle. If you would like recommendations on what to try out, please let me know!

I hope this Diwali brings prosperity, good food, warmth, love and a reminder that the goodness within you and the world will shine a light through any darkness that we’re faced with :candle: :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks @VeenaL - this is such a nice share.

If you’re able, can you share any pictures of the food you and your mum make? Plenty of ‘foodies’ on this community who would, i’m sure, love to see.

I’m now off for lunch… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @darren, yes of course, I’ll take some pictures when I go for lunch and share them on here!

Enjoy your lunch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wishing you the same!

Lovely to have the background to the Festival there, to remind us what the Festival is about…though as with other Faiths, celebrating with wonderful food is a very good idea.

2 Likes

Here are some Diwali snacks we typically have. All of them are savoury apart from the diamond shape one, which is sweet. All very good snacks to have with a cup of tea!

4 Likes

This was such a nice read, it’s lovely to hear what the message of Diwali is, thank you for enlightening me :candle:

Also as a foodie these snacks look yum!! Thanks for sharing Veena :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

@Ella we definitely have a foodie-community on here don’t we?!

2 Likes